Petal Picking: I love my job, not so much, I love my job, not so much...

This blog is meant to be an account of the daily events of my college internship and a floriculture educational tool. And as much as I want this to focus on the floral industry and the advantages of real world work experience that are offered through participating in an internship, I have a feeling it might become a slightly comical view into my personal life as a tree huggin', plant lovin', flower pickin', dirt diggin' horticulturist... I'll let you be the judge.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Week of April 24th - Designer Daisy

Finally, a break from the cold and the rain, and look at what happens...
SPRING HAS SPRUNG!!!

 This week we had an event at Key Hall, which is the sight of the Key Bank that used to be in business on State St. in Schenectady.  It has been totally refurnished and transformed into an event venue.  Here is a peek inside the original lock box vault of the bank. 

All brushed copper doors with the copper keys hanging out of each lock.

But we will move on from me goofing off while on the job to the part of the day where I actually worked...

Can you say Monstrous???
 We decorated the hall with four 12' palms in 4' urns, and 2 of these abnormally large phalaenopsis orchid planters.  All faux and silk of course.  

Here's something interesting....
Everyone knows that food can be organic, so can clothing, and now the roses that you bury your nose into can be certified organic as well.  But the flower industry pushes the bar above and beyond the consumer food and textile industries because if the flowers are organic, the flowers must also be certified 'fair trade' as well.  Fair trade meaning the flower farm must pass strict worker safety and compensation laws and rules.  Such as fair pay with overtime, offering health insurance coverage, 2+ months maternity leave, and safe working conditions.  Several large companies out of Europe and Central/South America have fallen into line and have passed the inspections and muddled through all the extra paperwork to be fair trade and organically certified.  I learned all of this in a book written by Amy Stewart, 'Flower Confidential'.  
But what really sparked my interest was that we received a box of flowers the other day, from Veriflora, a company from central America... and it had this sticker on it....
Finally! Flowers you don't have to worry about digging your nose into and inhaling deeply!

And with this box of flowers I created several centerpieces for a wedding taking place this weekend.
8 Petal Week

No comments:

Post a Comment